Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 22:22:31 -0400
From:
Stirling S Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Don Satz wrote:

>Do any of you care what race, ethnic origin, or religious affiliation I
>belong to? Some of you think well of me, some don't, and most don't think
>about me at all.  Nothing about my origins or affiliations would or should
>change that.  What a thread!

I find the geneology of famous people interesting, because it reminds us
of what a cascading world it is, with people transplanted from one land
to another, with crossings and recrossings of peoples and places.  Perhaps
this is a bit of a reaction to the ethnocentricity which I find around me,
where people worry about presenting "American" composers or "British"
composers, where in this very century people tried to pretend that being
"German" meant not being "Jewish".  As if the national character was some
kind of petrified spirit that was immutable and indivisible.

Stirling S Newberry