Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 21:38:58 -0400
From:
John Wiser <[log in to unmask]>
Denis Fodor wings it:

>Richard Pennycuick cites Andrew Carlan:
>
>>>I happen to very much like Bernstein's performance with the NYP of
>>>Nielsen's 3rd...
>>
>>Unless he recorded it twice, which seems unlikely, the third is with the
>>Royal Danish Orchestra.
>
>NYP/Bernstein do Nielsen #3 & #5 on Sony SMK47598.  The Danish #3 (&#4)
>is/are on EMI, I believe (but I never owned it).

John Wiser responds, also winging it:

I am equally sure that there is only one Bernstein-led recording of the
"Sinfonia Espansiva" of Carl Nielsen, that it is with the Royal Danish
Orchestra, and has been reissued on the Sony label from CBS materials.
So much for [perceived] fact.  Now an opinion:  Bernstein's Nielsen
recordings, to my taste, are always overwrought and lacking in attention
to detail.  I'll take the first-generation Nielsen conductors every time;
they _never_ let podium histrionics and sheer nervous energy override
temporal control.

John Wiser