Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 12:04:10 -0500
From:
Gerardo Constantini <[log in to unmask]>
Felix wrote:

>...  After all, Arrau never varied his repeats and sometimes played the
>music too seriously, but he had plenty of virtues to make up for it.

Well, i don't see any virtue in Arrau's Goldberg Variations recording,
more than his arrogance to think the world should wait after the year
2,000 to listen to that "revelation",who is not more than the level than
any pupil of Curtis,Juilliard,etc.can play.  That version is really dry
and plane.Maybe Arrau put inside all his intelectuallity(wich is very
controversial),but the auditive final realisation just wasn't.  Maybe (of
course it is only a especulation)Arrau was thinking in release his Bach
recordings after the 2,000 because he doesn't feel comfortable playing that
music, and in that way he has the possibility to don't listen in life any
contrary critic(review)against his performance of it.  Anyway he did
something similar,when he made the recording of the complete Chopin Waltzer
arround 1,980.It was a disaster.  For my personal opinion,Arrau has had
great performances,but a terrible ones too.  Regards.

Gerardo:.