Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 19:28:22 +0800
From:
Ying Liu <[log in to unmask]>
I bought a CD of Testament, Rudolf Kempe On Holiday, Vienna Philharmonic
Orchestra which was recorded in 1962/3.  It is fabulous, both the recording
effect and the conduct are excellent.  I like the best the Dance of the
Hour from La Gorconda by Mascani, Kempe make the music so lively and vivid,
even a bit humourous, creating a kind of ballet effect, dance rhysam, The
melody is quite charming.  I'v never listened to La Gioconda but I really
love this piece.  The CD also includes other great excerpts, I give them
an order based on my likes:

-Intermezzo from Notre Dame by Franz Schmidt
-Incidental music to Rosamunde by Schubert
-Waltz from Faust Act III by Charles Gounod
-Dance of the Blesed Spirits from Ballet Suite by C. W. Gluck
-Intermezzo from L'Amico Fritz Act III by P Mascagni
-Ballet Die Puppenfee by Josef Bayer
-Overture Orpheus in the Underworld by J. Offenbach
-Kolo from Ero, der Schelm by J. Gotovac

I realised that Kempe has seldom appeared in this list or I missed posts
regarding him but per my understanding, he should be ranked somewhere on
the Great conductors board, I have only heard about his other two pieces
from Great German Tradition Album except this one, one is Wagner's Die
Meistersinger, another is Richard Strauss' Tod und Verklarung.  Do any
memebers know more about him and recommend more of his conducting works
and give me some advice? Thanks in advance.

Ying Liu