Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 19:05:34 -0400
From:
John Wiser <[log in to unmask]>
Patrik Enander wrote [in part]:

>...I thought that I could mention the versions recommended by "the Good CD
>Guide" Their primary recommendation is with Vienna Octet on Decca Eclipse
>(bargain-price)

I don't know the "Good CD Guide" but certainly approve of their first
choice; various Octet recordings by various generations of the Vienna Octet
have been on my shelves for four decades at least, from an English Decca 78
set through a CS series London stereo LP.  I didn't realize that the VO had
been CD'd, though [sigh] as if I needed another.

>The other ones are:
>
>Gaudier Ensemble on ASV
>Budapest Schubert Ensemble on Naxos
>Berlin Soloists on Teldec (mid-pice)
>and the one that Mimi recommended
>ie, Mozzafiato & L'Archibudelli on Sony

In a general sifting-out of my overflowing CD shelves a few years ago, the
following recordings of the Octet were deemed keepers [out of maybe 14-15
CDs]:

Hausmusik [HIP] EMI Classics
Academy of Ancient Music Chamber Ensemble [HIP] L'Oiseau-Lyre
Mozzafiato/L'Archibudelli [HIP] Sony Classical
Kremer & Friends [non-HIP] Deutsche Grammophon
Aston Magna [HIP] Harmonia Mundi USA
Cherubini Quartet & Friends [non-HIP] EMI Classics
Marlboro Ensemble [non-HIP] Marlboro Recording Soc.

Three of the four runners-up Patrik cites didn't make the cut with me.
None were bad in any way, perhaps routine at worst.  The remainder are
still too many; it could come down to the Sony & the DG CD, one each of
two main performance streams, neither taking anything for granted in this
music.

John Wiser