Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 16:14:30 PDT
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Alan Lynn wrote:

>To me, the music makes the movie.  Think about it: name me one movie
>that would have a strong emotional impact if it had nothing but
>dialogue and normal sound effects.

I think that most movies are in this category.  I could likely name
hundreds if I had a list to work with, but here's just a few:

Twelve Angry Men, Husbands and Wives, The Mission, Aliens, Annie Hall,
Sleepless in Seattle, Ordinary People, Fargo, Unforgiven, Enchanted April,
Midnight Express, etc.

I love each of the above movies.  They need no music to stand tall.
There's much to be said for "silence." First, it's more realistic.  Second,
it allows the viewer to fully concentrate on the characters and plot.
Third, it indicates that the movie makers have sufficient confidence in
their film to feel no need to add ornaments to it.

Somebody mentioned the soundtracks for the Star Wars movies and Braveheart.
That made me chuckle.  Leaving aside the level of quality of these movies,
the soundtracks are pitiful and seem to me to be pasted on to the film.

When I want a movie, I rent one or go to a theatre.  When I want music,
the last place I'd go is to a movie.

Don Satz