From:
Thom Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:47:11 -0400
        Be careful this time of year, depending on local conditions it may
appear as if the hive is queenless when, in fact, it is not. Now that I
have confused you, If  there is no nectar comining in, a queen may
discontinue laying during the summer dearth. Other clues must be used to
determine queenlessness on occasion. Try to locate the queen. If you
cannot then feed 1/1 syrup for a few days and see if there are new eggs.
Try to locate the queen again.
        Brood are expensive to raise and if there is sufficient field force
there may be a cessation of rearing in order to more efficiently use
natural resources.
        Think like a bee. No nectar, no need to create more drain on food.

Thom Bradley
Chesapeake, VA

I had trouble with this the first couple of years.