From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 21:18:52 -0400
On 22 Jul 99, at 8:16, Bill Truesdell wrote:

> Question- if EC queens are superseded by SC queens are those SC
> queens superior and have we just corrected the problem of
> inferior EC queens?

I wrote up my findings on this some weeks ago. My statement was that
grafting (equal to superscedure) from an emergency queen (one that
has regression) will not improve nor correct her flaws.
        We tried on a number of occasions to improve the results of
emergency queens when we realised our mistakes for making them in the
first place! It was a dismal failure. Regression is regression, end
of story.

>I don't agree that emergency queens are inferior. I continually
>make new queens by the emergency method have been rewarded with
>better and better queens. It all gets back to when you make them,
>as Allan has said. If the bees make an emergency queen in a major
>honey flow or have a supercedure during a dearth- which will
>probably be the superior queen?

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree. In all the notes taken
over the last 8 years emergency queens are poor substitues for
quality queens and should NOT be encouraged. It matters not if there
is a flow or no flow, lack of feed is not the issue. The problem
stems from the break in Royal Jelly at a critical point in the early
feeding of the larvae selected, leading to incomplete development.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H1.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre, Owner
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>