From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 08:27:16 -0600
> Thus, it is her BROTHER she is possibly likely to mate with (as
> stated by the original post and Trevor) and not her son. (Son mating
> could only occur in the colony hive, and is unlikely).

Actually, if a virgin queen mated with a drone from her own hive, of her
own generation, she would be mating with her MOTHER, since -- unlike the
virgin in question -- brother drones do not carry any genes other than
those of the queen that is mother to them both.

And more... Just because a drone may be living in the hive from which a
queen emerges to mate, we cannot assume that he is related.  Drones are
known to drift, and in season, may be accepted in hives far from home
according to some sources.

allen