From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 06:29:49 +0000
This  message was  originally submitted  by [log in to unmask]  to the
BEE-L list at LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU.  It was edited to remove quote of previously
posted material.

----------------- Original message (ID=3C0F64C4) (70 lines) -------------------

From: "C. Crowell" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology"
 Subject: Re:      Bee Stings
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999

GW in his original msg reported mowing his lawn in front of two heavily
"bearded" hives (lots of bees hanging out near the entrance).  His mower
stalled, he restarted it, and in the process got stung by many bees.
Shortly after removing the stingers he felt tingling in his hands and feet.
   My suspicion is that the volume of toxin started to produce a shock-like
class of symptoms, wherein the body feels that it is under stress and attempts
to reduce cirulation to the extremities (hands, feet)  in order to preserve
vital organs centered about the torso (including the head).  It's not unlike the
tingling when you are on your feet for too long in a strained position and your
feet "go to sleep".
  I would be concerned if you had a similar reaction later in response to
much less venom, in other words you may become sensitized to the venom.  The
possibility is that you might get a more severe reaction the next time.  You
don't give your age, but it might be prudent to ask your doctor if you might be
a candidate for an epi-pen.  He might also recommend that you not work the hives
alone, at least for the next time (to see if your sting sensitivity has
changed).
  I am not a doctor, but I have been following the "sting" thread on this
interest group.  I'm also a NJ EMT.
/C.Crowell