From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 17:14:48 PDT
Stirling Newberry wrote:

>If someone where to say "Beethoven is was a hack." or "Stravinski
>was a hack" - the correct way to respond would be to point o various
>sections of music would rise about hackery, which illuminate and
>show more than merely chugging through the notes.

There is no one "correct" way to respond.  If Marcus had simply said, "I
think highly of Benjamin", there's nobody to prove that response incorrect.
The standards people develop are best applied to themselves.

>Instead Mr. Moroney offers us what?  A testimonial.

I'm sure Marcus can well handle his own responses.  I'd just like to point
out that Marcus did more than provide a testimonial to Benjamin.  Also,
Stirling did NOT provide any musical foundation for declaring Benjamin a
hack - he never even attempted to do so.

Don Satz