HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"L. D Mouer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:26:13 -0500
Your story reminds me of Mortimer Wheeler's series of instructions on how
to do archaeology that appeared over several issues of Indian Archaeology:
A Review (which was his journal when he directed the Archaeological Survey
of India). I have numerous old copies, and I need to dig this one up, but
I will paraphrase from memory.

Describing the role of site director, Wheeler cautions aspiring
archaeologists to be ever-wary of lazy laborers who will go to sleep
behind the spoil tips after each and every barrow full, unless watched
like a hawk. He then tells his disciples that they should stand ever
ready, with their very sharp knives sheathed at their sides, to leap into
a pit, draw their knives swiftly, and to masterfully (and with minimal
strokes) cut an impeccably clean section along the baulk (which, last I
heard, is the term we yankees use also, Adrian). My impression is that, to
Wheeler, leadership meant keeping the "wogs" in awe and fear.

Dan Mouer
Virginia Commonwealth University
http://saturn.vcu.edu/~dmouer/homepage.htm