HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert L Schuyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:41:07 -0400
Yes, a theme for SHA 2001 meeting on the docked Queen Mary (hotel) in Long
Beach, California has been decided on. It is:

        How to avoid the U-Boat looking for the Queen Mary
        under still standing orders from the Fuhrer.

Seriously, it may be a bit early. Pat or Barbara Garrow, are you out there
with any comments? Shelli Smith is, I think, the General Chair but I am not
sure who the Program Chairs are (Terrestrial and Underwater).

        I like the comments, both open on the List and private, about
possible overseas SHA meeting venues. However, there is a MAJOR problem.
Over 90% of the SHA membership is, I think, in North America and a large
unit of this membership are our Student Members. They can not afford too
expensive airtickets. For example, even places like Alaska and, probably,
Panama are out for that reason.

        The wonderful SHA-SPMA Anniversary Meeting in Williamsburg and
London did not do nearly enough for students who wanted to attend.

        This factor is a real problem. However, I agree SHA IS international,
as is the discipline, and so we should explore meetings outside of Greater
North America. What about Bermuda (part way inbetween?)? Are tickets to
London that bad in the Winter (and from there to York or Dublin etc. via
local systems)? I find it odd that York would not have a large enough hotel
(William Wallace?).

        Right now (1999) and for the near future it would probably be
better to think about helping our overseas members to get to SHA from
Oceania in 2001 and from Europe-Africa in 2002 and 2003.

                                Bob Schuyler