HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Neal Hitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:46:55 -0400

        [Neal Hitch]

        How can you disagree about the truth.  I am amazed at what
archeological companies bid on or try and sell me on the work that they can
do.  I wrote an RFP specifically calling for a historic archaeologist with a
PhD and a publishing history and still had pre-historic companies bid on the
job and get upset that they did not win.  When I worked in CRM (for a young
but very good firm) we bid on everything we could (my perception not company
policy).  Often I thought I was not prepared (i.e.. Spanish missions) but
figured if we won the contract I could afford to read enough secondary
sources to become what Babson calls an "instant expert."  Hey, before you
start to judge, I'm just being open.  I know I am not an isolated case
because I have worked with and have friends in a lot of firms.

        One thought about 106 is that contract decisions are up to the
federal agency involved.  As a firm or as an archaeologist you must try and
develop relationships with the people contracting the work so that when you
have questions about the work they are doing they view your opinion as a
qualified statement.  I know  archaeologists who if they called me and said
"Hey, I think that you need to rethink what you are planning/bidding" I
would listen and respond.  I also know archaeologists who I think are
golddiggers and if they called me I wouldn't listen.