HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 09:23:53 -0500
First, thanks very much to those of you who responded to my query regarding
the Pittman Plantation...your help was much appreciated.

Second...The following posting appeared on the H-AFRO-AM listserv, and it
occurred to me that some input from historical archaeologists might be of
use to this professor -- and would expose  ideas from HA to other audiences
as well. She's putting together a new class (at Columbia, I think) and is
looking for 'text and concept suggestions"...with her permission I'm
forwarding it to all of you. If you have ideas you might want to contact her
offlist, since she doesn't read HISTARCH.

cheers,
carol mcdavid

> From:  Adele Oltman <[log in to unmask]>
>
> This is a request for text and concept suggestions for a course on
> Black urbanization.
>
> I'm thinking of black urbanization as as process of
> modernization (A-A modernity), a process that begins at the moment of
> emancipation, and stretches well into the 20th century. I conceptualize
> the course sociologically as well as historically. Anthony Giddens' work
> on transformations of time and space I think are relevant here. Also, some
> of the work on post emancipation movement of freedmen and women (and the
> states' resistance to that). Many years ago Blassingame wrote on the
> making of a ghetto in Savannah, for ex. Elsa Barkely Brown wrote about
> urbanization and political culture in Richmond in the 19th century. The
> course will begin at the moment of emancipation, but I will take it up
> through the 1950s. Farah Jasmine Griffin writes about, among other things,
> reverse migration (to the South) in the imagination. Obviously any course
> on urbanization will address the tension between belonging and alienation
> that accompanies migration and "exile." Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Adele Oltman

Carol McDavid
Department of Archaeology
University of Cambridge