HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 12:06:33 -0500
A query for the list...

Patricia Pittman, a visitor to the Levi Jordan Plantation web site, wrote me
a while back to share her thoughts on the web site, and since then we've
struck up a lively correspondence about oral history, archaeology, family
history, etc.  She'd like to know if there has ever been any archaeological
work done on the Pittman Plantation in Wilmington, North Carolina.  I told
her I'd ask the list...so here goes...if you know of anything that might be
pertinent, please respond off-list if you want. (I did an online library
search, by the way, but found nothing).

Here's an excerpt from one of her messages to me:

"Throughout my studies, I was able to find out from a great-great aunt that
our family came from the Pittman plantation in Wilmington, North
Carolina...[I also learned that] on my mothers side, we are Igbo from  West
Africa. We are from E'hella  Village...."

She's also shared some other very interesting oral history about her family,
so if anyone IS working with this site, please let me (us!) know!

thanks,
Carol McDavid

cc: Patricia Pittman

Carol McDavid