HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:07:40 +0930
I have not found a good source on these kinds of buttons. At Silcott,
Washington, we found the following brands of overall/glove buttons:

Can't Bust 'Em
Carhartt's O'Alls & Gloves
CSCo
Crown Brand
Days Big Five
Finck Detroit
Heet, Orr & Co.
Head Light
Oak Brand
Rip Proof
The Railroad
Underhill Brand

These are all illustrated in Adams, Gaw and Leonhardy (1975:263) and come
from an OCCUPATION context of 1900-1930.

Adams, William Hampton, Linda P. Gaw, and Frank C. Leonhardy
1975  Archaeological Excavations at Silcott, Washington: The Data
Inventory. Reports of Investigations 53. Washington State University
Laboratory of Anthropology, Pullman.

Volume is out of print, but is being rewritten on CD.

William Hampton Adams, PhD
Director of Studies
Department of Archaeology
Flinders University
GPO Box 2001
Adelaide, SA 5001
AUSTRALIA

Phone:  (08) 8201 5257
Fax:    (08) 8201 3845
Email:  [log in to unmask]
http://www.cc.flinders.edu.au/Archaeology/
http://www.cc.flinders.edu.au/Archaeology/heritage/heritage.html
http://www.cc.flinders.edu.au/Archaeology/Heritage/Barnette/START.htm

Australasian Society for Historical Archaeology meets in Adelaide in
September 2000. Plan on attending!