HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Betsy Cassebeer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 13:53:36 PST
Please excuse cross-posting.

I am collecting references on clothing hooks and eyes, and hope someone
on this list is familiar with the subject.  I have posted a request on a
costume list and been referred to Janet Arnold's books.

I am particulary interested in patent dates - when was the interior
"bump" introduced?  Hooks and eyes are currently used in military
uniforms, but not commonly found on modern men's garb - when did hooks
and eyes become primarily women's clothing fasteners?

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Betsy Cassebeer
Laboratory Supervisor
Gray & Pape, Inc.
[log in to unmask] (corporate)
[log in to unmask] (personal)

"Things have their laws as well as men; things refuse to be trifled
with."  Ralph Waldo Emerson