From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:48:21 +0000
Charles L. L. Dalmas writes:

>I apologize so much to all the list members who like haydn, and know
>that i forgot to mention any Haydn in my list!  How could I have been so
>forgetful.  My fave Haydn movements are the last movement of 99, the first
>of 104, "Im Anfange" from the Creation, and the third movement of 95.

If I can't recruit them by stealth I'll get them by intimidation!
(See my previous post)

Nice post Charles.  I think the third movement of number 95 deserves a
further mention.  This is a neglected work relative to some of the other
London symphonies. The best version I've found is Solti/LPO on Decca.  If
Decca had not been so mean as to put only two symphonies on each disc
Solti's series might have been a bigger hit.

The minuet and trio I have seen criticised because the cello bit in middle
is boring. Can you believe this? For me this is a spine tingling moment
in a movement where Haydn is tearing up the rule books and appraoching
Beethovian territory. Indeed the sleeve notes on the disc tell us that B
took great interest in this work.  The trio is like a little cello concerto
within the movement and when the orchestra returns to relieve the tension
with the main theme I get a real buzz.

Gorgeous stuff.

Bob Draper