From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:52:51 PDT
In this post, I cover the preludes/fugues in A-flat and G-sharp minor.
These pieces convey to me the ending of WWII in 1945.  Although I wasn't
even born by that time, the stories I heard from relatives, books I read,
and newsreels watched did provide me with relatively vivid images of that
period.

Prelude in A-flat - I remmeber newsreel footage of the end of the war being
announced and the joyful bedlam of thousands of folks in the major American
cities such as New York.  They looked so happy and exuberant, everyone
hugging, kissing, and having a great time.  I can imagine this prelude
being played in conjunction with the visual footage.  Schepkin's
performance brings out all those emotions I assign to the piece.  *4*

Fugue in A-flat - Although I don't know this as a fact, I assume that
Soviet citizens were not as elated as their American counterparts, since
the Soviet Union endured so much damage from the German invasion.  I see
this prelude as a relatively subdued relief from war, with citizens feeling
very torn as to how to respond to the news of the war's end.  There's
regret at what's been lost but also a quiet optimism as the future begins.
This is one beautiful piece of music; different emotions just keep
penetrating me, and Schepkin does it proud.  *4*.

Prelude in G-sharp minor - It's just minutes before the American planes
drop their atomic loads on two Japanese cities.  Children are playing in
the streets, having no idea of the horror to engulf them, but the music
pays homage, ever so subtlely, to impending disaster.  This is one of
Schepkin's best performances.  *4*

Fugue in G-sharp minor - The bombing has ended and the fires have lost
their force.  Survivors are in a state of shock; the music is totally bleak
and closed.  We switch to the office of President Truman who's sitting
alone.  Initially, he has a subdued but good feeling of the decision he
has made, but he also thinks of all the Japanese citizens that have been
obliterated or left to suffer.  The music continues to switch from the
survivors to Truman and ends in quiet misery.  Again, top marks to
Schepkin.  *4*

Don Satz