From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 19:59:09 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>What are your criteria for "talent?"
>
>And, aparently, ANYONE can say anything he likes about any composer.
>And ANYONE seems to be doing just that.  But without criteria it's as
>meaningful as debating whether your weather is better than mine was a few
>hundred years ago.  Like, uh, who cares?

I guess I should clarify that when I say talent, I really just mean a
good composer.  Then you may ask to define my criteria for what a good
composer is.  I could give you reasons but they may be different than
yours.  Essentially when we debate about the talent of composers we are
really speaking subjectively.  I mean....I will say that Mozart was a
talented individual but because I LIKE Haydn more I think I may say that
I find him to be more talented than Mozart.  I don't think I can really
picture myself loving music by a composer and admitting that he/she is LESS
talented than a composer of music I dislike.  Call me crazy, call me
immature, call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner.
Thanks Mimi!!!!

Wes