From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:58:51 +0000
I wrote:

>>I summarise my feelings for B's 9th thus: nice model - boring symphony.

Deryk Barker replied:

>I must ask: which recordings are you basing you boredom on?

I have heard two versions of the work.  Kurt Mazur on Philips silver line.
I remember seeing Mazur talking about the work some time later when he
performed it at a BBC's promenade concert.  He was asked what it meant to
him.  His reply "It is everything".  (That's just an anecdote not meant to
imply anything)

The other version is by Bernard Haitink on Philips digital classics.  This
is part of a complete symphonies boxed set.

I have also seen Karajan perform the work on TV.

Any recommendations that might shed further light?

Bob Draper
In non-challenging mode