From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 02:29:30 -0400
Bob Draper ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>>I summarise my feelings for B's 9th thus: nice model - boring symphony.

Usually sensible Deryk raising false hopes, then asks:

>which recordings are you basing you boredom on?

All that yelling and screaming for what? Humanity in the aggregate.
Beethoven already found the answer to the treadmill of fate and his
electrified hairdo in his second, fourth and particularly the sixth and
eighth symphonies, not to forget his op. 31/3, best heard with Gould's
accompanying humming the joyful little march a boy whistles in the dark
to keep from being spooked.

Why would Beethoven lapse from the rapture of the opp. 109, 110 and 111 to
the racket of the op. 125? Then he returns and peaks out with a smile and
a shrug in his op. 135.

It's easy to love humanity; that's why utopians and Clinton are so dull.
What takes imagination is bearing with flesh and blood people like me.

The answer may lie in the Heurigers.  The new wine from a bad crop, perhaps
tainted with yeast mold, blasted Beethoven.  Thank God, he recovered.

Andrew E. Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Standing Up For Nielsen