From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 20:34:17 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>A point on authenticity.  Have you ever enjoyed Bach's pieces played on
>the cembalo? What do you think about them? I've come to the conclusion
>that possible lack of good technique (few play the cembalo these days)
>and technical imperfections of the instrument are counterbalanced with
>authenticity and deep, naturally echoing sound.  For example, preludes No.
>1 and No. 6 sounded really good for me on the cembalo, maybe even better
>than on the piano. Anyway, Bach must have had exactly this sound in mind
>and Gould's performances are for the noticeable part his own music based
>on Bach.

Let me start off by stating my opinion on the emotional content of Bachs'
Suites and Partitas(suites also).  In my opinion they are every bit as
expressive as the inventions and sinfonias they just have a different
point to them.  The partitas are perfect examples, to me anyway, of
expressive music written into a formal scheme whereas the preludes are
more free in their form.  Certainly it is no big deal that you don't find
them as emotionally expressive as the other works you mentioned......after
all.......one continuing theme in these threads is the different way we all
interpret emotion in a piece.  Ok, now onto the cembalo question.  Have I
ever liked Bach performances on cembalo(clavecin, harpsichord, clavier)??
I most certainly have and I would honestly not have it any other way.  I
must admit that Gould was the first exposure I had to the partitas and I
instantly fell in love.  But I have always been much more attracted by the
intimacy of HIP performances.  I have the partitas as performed by Gustav
Leonhardt on the Harpsichord.  I find the performance to be wonderful and
I really reccommend that you give it a try.  On a side note...I think there
are quite a few more players of the cembalo than you may realize.  Many
young up-and-comers too.  I believe Gilbert is still active and then you
have David Schrader, Christophe Rousset, Sophie Yates, John Butt(he also
plays cembalo) Christopher Hogwood, Ton Koopman, and many others seriously.
Hope I have been of some help!

--Wes Crone