From:
Ruben Stam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:11:07 +0200
Renato Vinicius wrote:

>These days I saw for the second time the film Schindler's List, of
>Spielberg (?!).  I didn't note at the first time, but when nazis get into
>the guet, at night, to kill the hidden jews, a young man, hidden in the
>piano gets out and starts playing the Bach's second English Suite (I think)
>and to nazi soldiers talk to each other if it is Bach or Mozart - or
>something like that.  I had it was a fantastic performance (and a scene
>of genius).

My admittedly hazy memory had one of the SS soldiers play the Bach,
but I agree that it's a very powerful scene.  It reminded me of a remark
philosopher George Steiner once made during an interview in his home in
Cambridge (UK).  He said something like:  "One thing I have never been able
to explain is how the Kommandant of a concentration camp could go home in
the evening after a grizly day's doing, sit down behind the piano with his
wife and children around him an play a Schubert impromptu.  And to say he
played it badly would be a lie.  He would play it so movingly that tears
would spring to your eyes."

I haven't been able to explain that for myself either.

Ruben