From:
John Wiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 21:50:37 -0400
Comments on certain entries in Donald Satz's list:

>Nonesuch - Malcolm Bilson - fortepiano - definitely available.

I know only of Nonesuch 9 78018-2, containing Sonatas in E flat, Landon 59
and 62, played on restored Stein and Walter fortepianos.  Superb in all
respects.

>Amon Ra  - Richard Burnett- fortepiano - possibly available.

Amon Ra is/was distributed by Qualiton.  I ditched this long ago; dull
performances, corky instruments.  ...Nice sound though:-}

>Glossa   - Patrick Cohen  - fortepiano - 4 cd's, definitely available.

My educated guess would favor this player, who I have heard doing good work
in Beethoven, Boccherini, and Mozart chamber music for Harmonia Mundi and
Auvidis.

>Gasparo  - Shirley Matthews - harp.    - definitely available.

Another educated guess would lead me to avoid anything from Gasparo.  They
are very inconsistent in their engineering, and wildly so in their A & R
judgements.

>Albany   - Lola Odiaga    - fortepiano - 6 cd's, definitely available.

Only six? I have eight Odiaga CDs split between the Titanic and Albany
labels.  Odiaga's elevated playing of a bracingly dry instrument holds up
well in repetition.

>DHM      - Andreas Staier - fortepiano - possible.

An offline keyboard maven and reviewer, who is one of the half-dozen people
whose musical opinions I sweepingly respect, prefers Staier's fortepiano
Haydn to all others.  I haven't acted upon his opinion myself -- life is
too short, sometimes.

John Wiser