From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 12:30:40 PDT
I recently obtained a Marco Polo recording of two symphonies by Adolph
Lindblad who was born during the first decade of the 1800's; I believe
he died in the 1870's.

The information provided with the disc indicates that Lindblad primarily
wrote songs; the two symphonies on the disc are the only ones Lindblad
composed.

I'd like to inform you that these are fine symphonies, and that if you
like Schumann, Mendelssohn, and Gade symphonies, the Lindblad symphonies
are worthy purchases.  However, I can't go that far.  I find the melodic
invention in the Lindblad symphonies not up the level of a Mendelssohn or
Gade.  Frankly, I found them routine and not compelling.  Recorded sound
was very good however.

I understand that the symphonies are also available on Sterling and
Caprice.  It is possible that the Marco Polo performances are below par,
but I have not heard the other recordings.

I will be giving further listenings to the Lindblad symphonies.  However,
since Lindblad writes in a typical romantic idiom, I am not confident of a
change of opinion.  But, there's always the chance.  I'm reminded of a Da
Capo disc of Hamerik's first two symphonies which I did not initially care
for; by the 9th or 10th hearing I was hooked and have enjoyed it much ever
since.

Don Satz