From:
Norman Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 12:13:23 EDT
Bob draper writes:

>The scholarly assessment of these works is consistent with them not being
>by Haydn.  So if they're not by the master why do you want them?
>
>The Kodaly's have finished the Job and a good job too, exceeded (possibly)
>only by the masaiques (spelling?).
>
>Spend your money on something else like Jeno Jando's recordings of the
>Haydn sonatas also on Naxos.

I have the Op. 3 "Hoffstetter Quartet" on a Decca CD 425 422-2 performed
by the Janacek Quartet and think it delightful, in all respects, as a
composition and performance-wise.  I would seek out a recording of it no
matter who in fact actually composed it.  (Certainly don't turn down an
opportunity to buy this disc, as it also contains "The Joke" and "Fifths"
quartets.)

The same is the case for the Mozart Wind Sinfonia Concertante K297b and
the Violin Concerto K.271a/i.  Why does that matter at all who really
wrote them? Parenthetically, the mere fact these works were ever at all
considered to have originated by Haydn and Mozart make them good enough!

Norman Schwartz