From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 22:03:36 +0000
I said:

>>Is it because we still view Liszt as the first pop star that we don't give
>>him his due? Or is it the Nazi use of LesPreludes that did the damage?

James Tobin replied thus:

>What did the Nazi's do with it? I have an early childhood memory of it
>being used on the Lone Ranger, or Sargent Preston of the Yukon, or one of
>those other radio shows that actually go back to that period, or close.

There was a Nazi propaganda film producer (name unknown to me).  He
produced all sorts of stirring films on topics like eugenics.  The one that
sticks in my mind was produced to convince the populace that it was right
for people (German citizens) with congenital diseases to be put down in
their own interests and of course improving the gene pool.  This file made
extensive use of Les Preludes as background music.  Presumably the Heroic
style gives the impression of a new dawn.  This, however, was not the only
use made.

After the second world war a ressessment of music was taking place.  My
point was that the association could not have helped Lizst's case at this
particular point in history.

Bob Draper