From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 22:41:41 +0000
Nick Perovich wrote:

>Tom Warren wrote:
>
>>Andrew Carlan wrote:
>>
>>>Beethoven acknowledged that he learned everything he knew from Haydn.
>>
>>In reading Maynard Solomon's biography of Beethoven, Herr B. not only did
>>not want to acknowledge that he was a pupil of Haydn, but that "he had
>>never learned anything from Haydn."
>
>I read Andrew Carlan's remark as simply a typo, "Haydn" for "Handel."
>Wasn't it Handel whom Beethoven seemed to worship as the ultimate master,
>declaring him "the father of us all," or something of that sort?

I think may be up the creek there.  It was Haydn who said "Handel is the
master of us all" after hearing 'The Messiah' in England

Bob Draper

 [Jesus people, he said both.  News flash: Beethoven was human.  He was
 capable of being petty, and he perhaps did not intend for his every
 word to be inscribed in stone and jodged as an absolute.  Try reading
 a good Beethoven bio (Thayer or HC Robbins Landon for example, anyone
 but Solomon, who is particularly adept at intertwining historical fact
 with his own fantasies of Beethoven - unfoirtunately, he doesn't warn
 the reader when he moves from one to the other).  -Dave]