From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 16:55:23 -0400
Charles Dalmas writes:

>Mehta is at his very best, simply mediocre...One mitigating factor in his
>defense, however, is the fact that he worked with the New York Philharmonic
>for a lot of his career.  I've had little respect for the NYP in my
>life.I've found it to be cumbersome and inflexible...  Masur, semi-lifeless
>as he is, at least has German precision flowing through his veins, and that
>has benefitted the NYP immensely, since they have had no precision at all
>since the days of Toscanini.Comments?

I usually find myself on the same taste wave with Charles Dalmas and my
only comment here would be: I've heard Mehta do opera both here (Munich)
and Vienna.  For my money he's always performed acceptably, and without
damaging the precious resources that are usually at his disposal.  I really
do think that he, combined with the Vienna or Munich pit orchestras, make
two of the better opera-singer supports currently on offer (though I would
gladly trade in his talent for Muti's-- or, in the matter of modern stuff,
for either Boulez or Salonen).  For what it may be worth, I understand that
Mehta is reasonably liked, even somewhat respected by at least some of the
musicians at both Vienna and here.  But he is NOT a fastidious or demanding
rehearser.

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]