From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 07:14:20 -0700
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>As for "The Mask of Time" - I missed the first 15 minutes as I was late
>back from a visit to my Rastafarian osteopath, but I saw some of it on TV
>and heard the rest on the radio.  My opinion is unchanged.  I doubt that
>exposing it to the TV audience has made many converts to contemporary
>classical music.

Indeed.  Being in the US I inevitably missed it.  However, over the weekend
I talked with my parents (who loved it) and my sister, who sat down to
watch it saying to her husband "It's music of our century -- we ought at
least to give it a try" and ended up describing it as worse than watching
paint dry.

Music of our century? I'm going to send her the Bax First Symphony and
Petrov's Creation of the World instead -- *that* ought to encourage her to
investigate more, whereas the Tippett -- regrettably -- won't.  I guess
this helpd me define the word 'accessible' a little more clearly!

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA