From:
Patrik Enander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 07:58:22 +0200
A couple of weeks ago I bought the new set of Bach Cello suites by Pieter
Wispelway (2 cd:s for the price of 1).  I have listened to it a lot since.
I cannot recommend this set too highly.  It's is excellent, he really gets
into the heart of these pieces.  I particularly like the sarabandes, some
of them almost painfully beatiful.  He plays a Barak Norman cello from
1710, and he produces a very warm, intense tone.  I cannot compare to
any other period performance set.  I have the Kirshbaum om Virgin, very
romantic compared to W.  I haven't really heard the Kirshbaum in years.
Now, when I put it on to compare I find it well played but rather shallow
compared to Wipelway.  So after a couple of minutes I go back to the
Wispelway set!

If you go to www.channel.com, you will find a sound sample.

Patrik Enander
Goteborg, Sweden