From:
Gerardo Constantini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 22:23:01 -0500
Hello Donald ;you wrote:

>Bach, Aldwell, Tureck - all artistic masters.  Would I call them that or
>"maestro" to their faces? No, even they don't rate any lofty designation;
>nobody does.  If Bach were to appear before me, I'd call him Mr. Bach and
>would expect a similar designation back; after that, it would be first
>names all around.

Interesting this coment about Adwell.  I really can't imagine him togheter
with Tureck,and less with Gould.  Anyway inever listened how he plays Bach.
Something very funny happened to me in 1,979.My actual teacher at that
time at Mannes College,was Mdme.Yablonskaya,but she was preparing a move
to Germany for about two years.Then i begun to look for a new teacher.There
was Arkady Aronov,one of the possibilities,but i saw sometimes a teacher
who make a very interesting classes,and i was thinking this one was Edwar
Adwell.then i found his phone,then i called him and i made an
appointement.Then i went to his apartment,i Knocked the door,and!surprise:
he was not the person i think he was suppose to be.Well there was nothing
to do,i play for him,and i realize i can't study with Adwell,and he feel
the same way.Our musical Horizon was too different.At least at that time(in
my opinion),his musical conception was music in "small size",not too much
forte,not too much pianissimo:It looks to me like everything was too much
for him.Something close to a Serkian aproach.Very dry.  Of course it was
what i feel of him,but as i told you i never listened his playing,maybe
my opinion can change.But i don't think is a must to like Adwell Bach's
playing,if somebody likes Bach played in piano,you still have
Gould,Schiff,Nikolaieva,etc.:By the way somebody in this list listened from
a live performance the Italian Concerto played by Gyorgy sandor?.  it was
one of the deepest experiences in my life.It's giant.  Ahhh,if Bach appears
before me,the first word i think to call him:Maestro,or maybe Maestro de
maestros,or maybe Maestro di maestri,or maybe Master of masters.

Gerardo Constantini:.
A profound admirer of a semi-God:Bach.