From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 12:17:47 PDT
Gerald Pillay wrote:

>Would like to own a CD of a countertenor.  Could someone kindly
>recommend?

Andreas Scholl is probably considered the current reigning countertenor.
As luck would have it, two new recordings devoted to Scholl have just been
released.  One, on Decca, is titled "Heroes", and presents Scholl singing
heroic arias of Handel, Gluck, Hasse, etc.  At least half the disc is
devoted to Handel, Norrington is the conductor, and the disc is very good.
The other recording, on Harmonia Mundi, has Scholl singing exclusively
Handel arias.  I've ordered it - hasn't arrived - expect it will be of
the quality of the 'Heroes" disc.

Then there is David Daniels who is close on Scholl's trail.  He recently
recorded a disc of Handel arias on Virgin conducted by, that's right,
Norrington again.

Of a little older vintage is a Handel heroic aria disc from James Bowman
on Hyperion conducted by Robert King.  For my money, it's better than the
other three I mentioned all put together - one of the best recordings of
this century.

If you like countertenor singing and period instrument baroque music, any
of the above discs should do the trick.

Don Satz