From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 17:12:42 PDT
I was wondering what the artistic purpose was for countertenors.  Were
there female altos during the Baroque period? Was it because the tradition
was for men singers only and only gradually were women accepted? In
Handel's oratorio Esther, the part of the Priest of the Israelites is sung
by a countertenor.  Was this to give an other-worldly quality to the part?

I would appreciate anyone clarifying this for me.

Thanks, as always

Ron Chaplin