From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 10:22:42 -0400
I think I basically agree with Stirling's message (if I understand it
correctly).  What I would like to emphasize is that the difference between
CM fans and pop music fans has nothing to do with such factors as ability
to concentrate, moral rectitude, intelligence, or any character factors.
I know plenty of people who can concentrate for long periods on things
that would bore me to tears, who have very fine moral qualities, high
intellegence, etc., etc., but who simply don't have a taste for classical
music and probably never will.  They have been absorbed in rock and pop
music since they were kids and are now in their 40's and 50's; they will
probably never turn to CM, unless for some reason or other they suddenly
wake up some day and find that it interests them (this sometimes happens).

I would like to be able to say that pop music inevitably makes people
stupid and vicious, while CM enobles and enlightens humanity, but I am
afraid that that is attributing much too much effect to music.  Exactly
why different individuals have different tastes in music (or other arts)
is mostly a mystery to me, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with
the rest of their characters.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]