From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 1999 16:02:35 PDT
This isn't about the ill-fated pilgrimage to Mecca that Schumann and
Brahms embarked on with reduced entourage.  It's the original version
of Schumann's Pilgrimage of the Rose (Der Rose Pilgerfahrt).

The original version is for vocal soloists, chorus, and piano.  The
souped-up orchestral version has received two recordings:  Kuhn on Chandos
and Spering on Opus 111.  Kuhn offers a richer sounding interpretation,
while Spering provides crisp no-nonsense direction.

The original version has just been recorded on Harmonia Mundi by Marcus
Creed and the RIAS-Kammerchor with Philip Mayers on fortepiano.  All
performances are excellent, and the vibrant sound of the fortepiano is
stunning in this work.  I suppose that the orchestral version, having more
weight, would be my first choice.  But, it is also rewarding in a more
intimate sense to have the Creed recording.

You might be wondering why anybody would want three versions of an obscure
Schumannn work.  Because it's great music, every bit as good as his
symphonies.  Check it out; any of the three recordings places this work in
an excellent light.

Don Satz