From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 00:11:30 GMT
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>My thanks to those members of the group who mentioned the virtues of the
>Naxos cd of the Finzi clarinet concerto and other works.  It is a joy to
>listen to.

This is one recording that is worth spending a little extra to get a
stellar performance with demonstration-quality sound.  I can heartily
recommend Emma Johnson (c), Sir Charles Groves (cd), and the Royal
Philharmonic Orchestra on the ASV label (CD-DCA 787).  It's my
understanding that ASV no longer is, but the recording from 1992 should
still be available.  The other performance is of Charles Villiers
Stanford's Concerto for Clarinet and Three Intermezzi for Clarinet.
This is a "must have" for clarinet aficionados.

D. Stephen Heersink
San Francisco