From:
Dave Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 02:28:00 EST
William Hong wrote:

>I'm not aware of any Naxos versions of Biber (Rosary) sonatas, though I
>haven't looked religiously through the racks of late.

Naxos has yet to crack the nut of Biber.

>The Lautenbacher set is the oldest recording (early 1960s) of these
>sonatas presently available, if in fact not the first set ever made.

The Lautenbacher set was recorded in 1963.  Actually there was an earlier
mono one from the early to mid 50s, possibly on Esoteric.  A search across
various library databases has proven fruitless; Cincinnati Public is where
I borrowed it circa 1979 but they seem to have discarded their copy.  I
can't remember the violinist's name, but I do recall the recording, which
was done with little or no continuo.  Quite a chore to listen to
unaccompanied violin for so long, especially from a thin, reedy recording
with a modern violinist attempting to tackle Biber on a modern instrument.

However the absoloute BEST recordings I've heard of Biber's Sonatas may be
found on Harmonia Mundi 907134/5 by Romanesca (Biber:  "Violin Sonatas").
These are mostly drawn from the set of the "Sonata Reppresentiva" rather
than the "Rosenkranz" or "Mystery" Sonatas mentioned earlier.  But the
continuo is always fresh, the Sonatas well-chosen and at a consistently
high level of vituosity and musicality, and violinist Andrew Manze is just
astonishing.  This set is on the pricey side- there was at one time a
single-disc sampler set with a catalogue which is officially out of print,
but you may be able to order it from somewhere.  This, in fact, is the one
I own, cheapskate that I am.  If you like Biber, don't miss out on his
orchestral works such as BATTALIA or his vocal music, all of which is
excellent.  You may also take delight in his contemporaries Muffat and
Schmelzer.  A particularly fine recording of the latter composer, also
by Romanesca, may be found on Harmonia Mundi 907089S.

>I've not listened to all of it (Lautenbacher), but from what I have heard
>it's perfectly acceptable, given that the playing style represents "Baroque
>HIP" as practiced in the 60s.  And of course, the price can't be beat.

It is acceptable though I find Lautenbacher's tone a little wiry at times
and the organist a bit monotonous in the long run.

Uncle Dave Lewis