Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:18:28 +0000
From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Gerardo Constantini

>Uhmmmmmmm.  I think for every composer,is inportant to know his best,his
>worst,and his intermedia(sorry for my english).
>
>    BEST                       WORST
>
>LISZT    B minor Sonata      Annes de pellegrinage(cursi)

Couldn't agree less here.  The annes de Pellegrinage contain some wonderful
music IMO.  Just listen to the marvellous representation of water in 'Au
bord d'une source'.

Regarding the Dante and Faust Symphonies, start with the former it's much
more approachable.  A good mid price version is on Hungaroton by Gyorgy
Lehel.  The sleeve notes are ambivalent about Liszt's choice of a
Magnificat to end the symphony but all I can say is 'it works for me'.  (I
have been informed by other posters that there are other Liszt symphonies.
Yet to be investigated by me)

>CHOPIN   Polonaise Phantasie           Bolero
> 2 sonata            The songs on a Polland themes
> 2nd Scherzo               (many other works)

I reckon the scherzos are a great place to start.  Try the Idil Biret
set on Naxos.  After this you'll probably want to get here entire Chopin
output.  Don't overlook the Chopin works for piano and orchestra including
the concertos.  These have been criticised as 'a piano accompanied by
orchestra' ie no interplay.  Ignore that, they're very enjoyable to listen
to so who cares.

>MALHER   Even if i recognaize his level, i really like very few his
>complete work.Always it sounds to me like a "interruptus" work.In other
>words: he never concrete any musical idea into a context of a solid
>architecture.  For this reason i am not good to reccomend an option.
>Best:

I understand what Gerardo is talking about here.  I, myself received some
stick for saying that the works are overlong.  But, everyone (including me)
is talking about the Mahler symphonies.  His lieder (accompanied by
orchestra) is very attractive too.

Bob Draper