Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 17:45:38 -0500
From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Scott Morrison wrote:

>Can anyone describe his music for me? I know there is a recording of his
>opera, 'Juha', with Jorma Hynninen (one of my favorite singers), but I've
>not heard this, or any other of Merikanto's music.  I am familiar with some
>music of his father, Oskar, quite folklike in style, but I gather that the
>son's music is rather more forbidding.  Anyone?

While I don't know any of Oskar's music, Aarre's music can be quite
wonderful.  His early music shouldn't be problematic.  His 2nd and 3rd
Piano Concertos can be found on Ondine.  The Second is easy going while the
Third is a bit more advanced.  I like both of them.  Out of the dozen or so
of his works that I have in recording, I am most fond of his short
orchestral piece, "The Abduction of Kyllikki" from 1935.

In his late works he was less tonal.

Karl