Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 16:40:03 PDT
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Felix Delbrueck wrote:

>I myself often feel when I listen to Mozart that I am listening to speech
>through a mask, so to speak.  M's music does move me, no doubt about it,
>but it does so more indirectly, more suggestively and circumspectly, than
>Beethoven's.

Just the opposite for me; not "speech through a mask", but as if my head
was in his mouth.  What an elegant thought!

I've always, as an adult, found Mozart's music more up-front that any other
masterful composer's.  I think it's Beethoven whose greatness is to be
found behind/around the corners.

Since I have this view of Mozart, my sole concern with his music is that
it does not tend, for me, to sound better with time and repeated listenings.
Fortunately, it doesn't sound worse either; it remains at a very, very high
level.  With guys like Beethoven and Bach, enjoyment, admiration, and all
the other good stuff just gets better with time.

Don Satz