Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 09:01:22 PDT
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
John Dalmas wrote:

>Leaving aside astonishment that Don is so easily pleased, list members
>who enjoy listening to these works on pianoforte might be interested to
>know the Malcolm Bilson recording of the great E-flat sonatas (on Nonesuch)
>is available now at discount from H&B Direct.

That's odd.  I consider myself quite particular concerning performances
of Haydn's piano works.  For better or worse, I know exactly what I want
from them, and Brendel/Schiff give it to me.  But, I am also able to enjoy,
appreciate, and favorably recommend other recorded performances as well.
I'm not the type that thinks that "good" is the enemy of the best.

I do think it significant that list members receive the impression intended
from an individual making recording recommendations.  Toward that goal, I'm
going to start using a 3-tiered system:

a.  Must Buy - Performance is the best available.

b.  Worthy of Purchase - Good performances which should provide much
pleasure.

c. Not Worth Your Time - Performances ranging from mediocre to poor.

>Any one of these (Bilson, Staier, Kalish), plus the two discs of the
>sonatas by Emmanuel Ax (on piano), I would suggest listening to
>before springing for Brendel or Schiff.

Why wait to buy the best when you can get it right now?

I do have two questions for John and any other list members:

1. Have you listened to the new Schiff set?
2. Where do you think Schiff is lacking?

Don Satz