Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 19:33:44 -0700
From:
William Strother <[log in to unmask]>
Deryk Barker wrote on John Cage:

>It was actually 4:33 not 32.  Not only have I listened to his music for
>longer than that, I've played it for longer and I've evern spoken to the
>man for around that length of time.

So, Deryk, you spoke to John Cage? In 1968 or 9 I did a broadcast interview
with him -- 90 min or 2 hrs.  Didn't have a clue what to say to him, I knew
only the most sketchy things about him.  As it turned out, it didn't matter
at all.  We had a marvelous conversation about God knows what.

Then, a few weeks later, I was invited to one of those marvelous Greene &
Greene homes in Pasadena, at which Cage was the guest of honor and chef.
He had been out for days locating the best mushrooms in California which
became the basis for a great meal.

Someone should ask Varda about it.  I'm sure she was there, and her memory
is far better than mine.

But Cage was a very interesting man, full of humor and kindness.  I've
always regretted the snide things I used to say about his music.  He was
obviously an artist of far more substance than I once believed.

Bill S