Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 06:24:44 -0400
From:
Jane Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Bob Kasenchak wrote:

>I was always under the impression that perfect pitch can be learned,
>to a greater or lesser extent, by almost anyone .........

Perfect pitch is a practiced art.  I agree from my own personal experience.
And I have been able to improve awareness to knowledge of pitch in piano
students so that they were more aware of mistakes.  Teaching harmony
theory also boosts the knowledge of pitch.  Certainly singers benefit from
attention to pitch and harmony.  Certainly string instrument players attain
a better awareness of pitch.  And practiced "deaf ear" does have a profound
affect on lack of knowledge of how to achieve accurate pitch.  If pop
musicians can lay a melody over all that background electric noise, should
be proof that it is possible to have some knowledge of pitch under the
harshest of cirumstances.

Jane Pierce