Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 09:22:24 -0400
From:
Mark Seeley <[log in to unmask]>
Tony de Freitas wrote (with additional commentary from Dave):

>I read somewhere that the total music market, whatever that is, is
>increasing at a tremendous rate, whatever that is.  Could it be that the
>market for classical music is, in real terms, increasing?

Label execs say their classical divisions are profitable, but this
profitability has been attained through a series of bloodlettings.
Staffs have been cut, artists have been jettisoned, project lists have
been pared or scaled down.

The standard repertory that was once a safe haven is now the target.
In the core repertory, few, if any, of today's conductors are able to
create the kind of excitement that made their predecessor's recordings
hot commodities.  The market seemingly isn't able to sustain the newest
interpretations of the "warhorses."

Mark