Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 15:40:53 -0400
From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
We've had threads before dealing with the following: using both structural
and functional brain imaging techniques (magnetic resonance imaging and
positron emission tomography) a group of five scientists at McGill
University in Canada have investigated, from the strictly boffin side, the
phenomenon of perfect pitch.  The neural networks of perfect pitchers and
merely stalwart pitchers do seem to respond slightly differently to musical
tones.  But the difference appareently isn't enough to pin it strictly on
neural activity.  Indeed, our scientists suggest that absolute pitch may
not be associated with a unique pattern of cerebral activity, but rather
may depend on the recruitment of a specialized network involved in the
retrieval and manipulation of verbal-tonal associations.  All this was
culled from Procedures of the National Academy.  For anyone wanting more
on it, try Robert J.  Zatorre, [log in to unmask]

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]