Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 23:10:01 +0200
From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Donald Satz wrote:

>Aaron Rabushka wrote:
>
>>Although I'm not much of a fan of his Great C Major Mass, just
>>about any of the other ones is worth a gander---
>
>Mozart's other masses are certainly worth exploring, but none of them
>comes close to the musical mastery of the Great Mass; it's Mozart at his
>best, and the best version is Leppard on EMI.  Aaron - what don't you like
>about this work?

Not being Aaron and loving the work a lot I just want to mention two rather
recent recordings that I like:  Gardiner's and Herreweghe's.  Can't choose.
For non-HIP I go by Fricsay & Goennenwein, the latter especially for great
soloists, but there are more.

>Also outstanding is the Lin/Leppard series for Sony.  Lin attains
>perfection, and Leppard is an excellent partner.  He's one underrated
>conductor.

I really have to listen to Leppard again, it seems.  I must admit that his
name rarely springs to mind as a great conductor.  I agree about Lin.  But
Grumiaux is impeccable as always and IMO so is Schneiderhan.

>Philip Peters expressed disappointment with the Mosaiques in Mozart string
>quartets.  This came up within the past few weeks when a poster expressed
>similar shortcomings with the Mosaiques.  My response is about what it was
>then; I greatly enjoy the Mosaiques in Mozart and find them incisive,
>exciting, and great sounding.

Yes, I agree regarding their Haydn. I'll give their Mozart another spin.

Philip