Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 23:42:21 -0500
From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
David Stewart wrote:

>I haven't bought any new Mozart in ages.  Can anyone recommend some CDs to
>get? I have the following
>
>Clarinet Concerto

Get his Clarinet Quintet as well.

>Piano Concertos 9,17,18,20,21,23,26,27

Fill in all the blanks from Nos. 17 to 27, w/ possible priority to Nos. 24
and 25 (the latter, relatively rarely performed, being my favorite!)

>Divertimenti K136-8

Run, do not walk, to wherever you get your recordings and obtain his
Divertimento in Eb, K563, for violin, viola, and cello

>Symphonies 29,31,35,36,38,40,41

There's also No. 25, the "other" g minor symphony, a worthy acquisition,
even if *Amadeus* accorded it misplaced pride of preference

>Opera
>Marriage of Figaro

Two words: *Don Giovanni*

>Anything conspicuously missing? I was thinking about the serenades,
>perhaps?

His quintets K. 515/516 (the latter being the sublime g minor quintet) and
K.593; his quartets dedicated to Haydn and the three he wrote thereafter;
Serenade in Bb, K.361, for 13 Winds (Grand Partita); in preference to his
Wind Serenade in c minor, K.388, I'd suggest his string quintet arrangement
of the same work, K.406

Enjoy.

Walter Meyer